The NIMDTA Faculty Development Group recognises that Trainers may have attended a variety of events hosted by external bodies such as Royal Colleges. The following is a list of courses or events that are recognised as equivalent training for Trainers. It should not be seen as exhaustive and will be amended/updated from time to time.
Details of any courses not on this list (including programme and learning outcomes) should be sent to the Faculty Development Group for consideration of content (Bronagh.Woods@hscni.net).
Teaching the Teacher
- NIMDTA/HSC Trust-run Teaching the Teacher courses
- Royal College of Surgeons England: Training the Trainers: Developing Teaching Skills
- Royal College of Psychiatrists: The effective lecturer
- Royal College of Physicians (London): Effective teaching skills workshop
- Royal College of Anaesthetists: Anaesthetists as Educators: Teaching and training in the workplace
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health: Paediatric Educators Course
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists: StratOG: The Obstetrician as Teacher
- Royal College of Radiologists: Training the trainers
- British Orthopaedic Association: Training Orthopaedic Trainers (TOTS)
- ALSG/Resuscitation Council (UK): Generic Instructors Course. Any Higher Education Certificate (or higher) in clinical/medical education that covers teaching, for example, the Certificate in Clinical Education (QUB).
- NIMDTA/HSC Trust-run trainee support workshop (recommended for newly appointed trainers)
- Trainee Support is covered by the relevant module in the Certificate in Clinical Education (QUB) (NB: Enrolment from September 2014 onwards only).
- Many Royal Colleges cover generic trainee support training as part of supervisory skills courses or as stand-alone courses. These are acceptable but must also be supplemented with knowledge of NIMDTA policies on Management of Trainees Requiring Support and Reporting Concerns of Undermining, Bullying or Harassment which outline local pathways for dealing with trainee support issues (http://www.nimdta.gov.uk/trainee-policies-and-guidance/, see under generic policies).
- NIMDTA/HSC Trust-run Supervisory skills courses
- Royal College of Anaesthetists: Anaesthetists as Educators: Educational Supervision
- Royal College of Physicians (London): Educational supervisor workshop and accreditation
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health: Effective Educational Supervision
- Royal College of Radiologists: Supervisor skills workshops
- Royal College of Psychiatrists: Educational and Clinical Supervisors training
- Royal College of Surgeons England: Training and assessment in the Clinical Environment (TrACE).
- British Orthopaedic Association: Training Orthopaedic Clinical and Educational Supervisors (TOCS and TOES)
- Supervisory skills are covered by the relevant module in the Certificate in Clinical Education (QUB) ((NB: Enrolment from September 2014 onwards only).
Equality, diversity and opportunity training
- London Deanery e-module: Diversity, Equal Opportunities and Human Rights
- HSCNI Discovering Diversity
- QUB on-line equality and diversity training, available on line for QUB staff.