Welcome to the GP Trainer page. We hope that you find the information provided on this page useful for your role as a GP Trainer. If you have any documents or useful links you would like to appear here, or you would be interested in helping to keep this page up to date, please contact email@example.com.
Essential Trainer Documents
- Trainer Indemnity Letter
- Trainer SLA
- Trainer SLA - Process
- GP Trainee Contract – All training practices who have a St2 or St3 will receive the contract from NIMDTA HR Department. It will be populated with the relevant personal details of the trainee (including salary scale and holiday entitlement).
- GP Trainer Induction Booklet
- GP Trainer status of practitioners where the GMC is taking action through fitness to practise procedures
GP Trainer Newsletters
View the newsletter archive
Please click on the links below for further information.
New Trainer Day 2015
Please find below the presentations from the New Trainer Day, which took place on 15th May 2014.
GP Trainer Development
We have recently updated the trainer development guidance:- All trainers should attend a minimum of 3 sessions (half-days) annually- And a total of 9 sessions over the 3 year trainer re-accreditation period
A spread of educational activity is recommended over the 3-year period. Some training is mandatory to meet regulations and the remainder depends upon your own learning needs:
- 1 session relating to Educational supervisor role, update training for WPBA/ e-portfolio.
- Every 3 years:
- 1 session of Equality and Diversity training
- 1 session of update training in OOH (this is required whether you personally supervise or if you delegate this to another OOH supervisor).
- Recommended educational Activity:
- 1 session acting as an assessor at the mock CSA (when an ST3 is attached to your practice)
- 1 session relating to practice re-accreditation visits can be counted if attending as a trainer co-visitor but not claiming locum expenses
- Locality-based trainer-development days
- Attendance at approved learning activity outside the deanery, e.g. primary educator meetings, RCGP examiner, etc..
What are my commitments as a GPSt1 Educational Supervisor?
Each session should be between 2-4 hours. You could use part of the November and April sessions to give the Trainee a brief induction into GP – obviously they can only observe.
The August, January and May meeting should be focused on the ePortfolio completely as Educational reviews take place in January and May.
Trainees are expected to add a minimum of 2 learning log entries to their ePortfolio every week, therefore as an ES you should check their portfolios regularly. If you do not see evidence of the trainee adding to their ePortfolio you should contact them to remind them. If you still do not see progress, please contact the Programme Director, who will help you.
It is important that you familiarise yourself with all the guidance on the ePortfolio page of the website.
This will include the GP Trainer Manual, minimum evidence requirement and other useful documents.
Who is my Programme Director and how can I contact them?
|AREA||TRAINER GROUP CONVENOR||PROGRAMME DIRECTORS|
|Belfast||Dr Jane Creaney||Dr John Clements, Dr Fergus Donaghy, Dr Fionnuala Dickson|
|Northern||Dr Allen McKay||Dr Siobhan McEntee, Dr Ursula Mason, Dr Louise Sands|
|Southern||Dr Mark Palmer||Dr Margaret Chambers, Dr Alison Rogers|
|South Eastern||Dr John Collins||Dr Andrew Nelson, Dr Michael Mulholland|
|Western||Dr Laura McDonnell||Dr Derval Dolan, Dr Diane Robinson, Dr James Meade|
Who organises the training group meetings?
Where can I find RCGP Guidance on the ePortfolio?
Further information on Trainee exams and WPBA is available here.
Please find useful information on Developing Reflective Practice by clicking on this link to the East Midlands deanery website.
You can also download the attached document ‘Being a Reflective GP‘ by Dr Arthur Hibble, Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of East Anglia.
Where can I find information on the RCGP Curriculum?
Where can I find guidance on GP Educator notes (ePortfolio)?
RCGP - 'Training the Trainers'
Where can I find Out of Hours Sessions information?
How can I share Good Practice in Training?