Immigration Information

To access the Tier 2 sponsorship page, please click here

I am currently living in the UK, but am not sponsored by NIMDTA or an HSC Trust and would need to travel to my home country to apply for a visa. Given the pandemic, is there anything in place that would allow me to obtain a visa without travel to my home country?

You are expected to take all reasonable steps to leave the UK where it is possible to do so or apply to regularise your stay in the UK. For further advice in relation to this please visit the UKVI website at

Where can I find further information regarding immigration queries related to coronavirus?

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have set up a Coronavirus Immigration Helpline, for immigration queries related only to Coronavirus: Telephone: 0800 678 1767 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). Calls are free of charge. Email:

Alternatively, please visit the following pages of the UKVI website at:

I am currently in the UK and have applied for my new visa, but I’m not sure if I will receive it in time to start my post at changeover.  Will I be able to start work at changeover? 

You may start work before your visa application has been decided if:

  • You have been assigned a certificate of sponsorship
  • You have submitted your application before your current leave expires
  • The role you are employed in is the same as the one on your CoS

You will be asked to provide the receipt for your visa application containing your UKVI application reference number to the Professional Support Until to enable them to carry out a right to work check using the UKVI Employers Checking Service.  A satisfactory ECS check will be required so that you can commence work at changeover.  Your consent to carry out this check will be sought.  If your visa application is subsequently rejected as invalid or refused your employment will be terminated.

I am applying for a visa to enter the UK, but I don’t think I will be able to start at changeover due travel restrictions.  What do I do?

If you are unable to start on the date on your certificate of sponsorship, the Professional Support Unit will notify the UKVI of your delayed start date.  You will need to keep the Professional Support Unit updated on the progress of your visa application and you wil need to notify the relevant specialty team within NIMDTA and Medical HR of the trust you have been posted to.  

I am applying from outside the UK. How do I know if I will need to self-isolate when I reach Northern Ireland?

Please consult the following webpage prior to travel and confirm whether you are required to isolate to

Please note that you will also have to complete your pre-placement health assessment following completion of the self-isolation period.

If you have any immigration queries, please contact the Professional Support Unit on