On this page you will find answers to popular questions that Trainees ask us focused on the content of your training programme. Click on each title for more details.
How do I know which courses to attend?
Are the training days mandatory?
What should I do if I can not attend a training day?
What courses should I attend if I am out of sync with my colleagues?
Can I attend any training days when I am on leave (sick leave / maternity leave)?
Please remember there are around 300 courses running each year and numbers are limited. If we don’t know you are going to attend there may not be room or lunch available for you.
ST1/ST2/ST3 Tutorial Timetables
Please leave feedback for all your ST1 Regional Days on the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/VGNHTMR
Please leave feedback for all your ST2 Regional Days on the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/VFTLP9M
Please leave feedback for all your ST3 Regional Days on the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/V3P7S73
PLEASE NOTE THESE DATES ARE CORRECT AS OF AUGUST 2019. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE IN TOUCH WITH THE ROTA COORDINATOR FOR ALL UPCOMING DATES IN CASE THERE HAS BEEN A DATE SWAP OR VENUE CHANGE. IF YOU ARE STARTING MID WAY THROUGH THE YEAR AS AN OUT OF SYNC TRAINEE PLEASE GET THE DETAILS FROM YOUR PROGRAMME DIRECTOR.
All about General Practice posts (ST2 & ST3)
What should I do before starting a GP post?
- Ensure you have the appropriate Medical Protection
- Purchase your own stethoscope, auroscope & ophthalmoscope
- Ensure your motor car insurance is valid for home visits and carrying drugs
Please read the full Induction Guide to General Practice Posts put together by Dr Fergus Donaghy.
Contract, Handbooks & taking leave
- The Practice acts as your employer whilst in a GP post. You should report all sick / maternity leave to them and to NIMDTA. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to advise us of any leave taken above annual leave.
- You can download blank copies of the Contract and Handbook from the policies section at the bottom of the screen. However NIMDTA Human Resources will populate a contract with your salary scale and holiday entitlement and post this to your practice within 6 weeks of the start of your post.
What to expect in GP – induction and consultation
- Induction should last three days in ST2 & ST3
- The working week is ten sessions
- Expect to consult with around 70 patients per week in ST2 & 80 patients per week in ST3
- 20 minute appointment slots, reducing to 10 minutes later by mutual agreement during ST3
ST2 Regional and Locality Day Timetables Feb-Aug 2019
Support for ST2s in locality training – Tasks to Demonstrate Learning Outcomes.
The Management Module & Patient consent form
Managing Controlled Drugs
When should ST2s meet with their GP Trainer?
If undertaking a GP post in August
Suggestions for each session;
- Complete audit
- Review surgery session
- Review of red flag referrals made while in post
If undertaking a GP post in February
Suggestions for each session;
- Active observation of the trainer consulting
- Active observation of another GP consulting
- Active observation of the Practice Nurse – Spiro/Smoking cessation/Resp reviews
- Practice manager or present trainee to demonstrate the computer & practice policies – see inventory in Induction Guide to General Practice Posts. This is best undertaken just a couple of weeks before starting as these skills atrophy quickly
Induction (that period of learning before seeing booked patients) should last 3 days for St2s, those commencing GP in February of a year may find they have already covered a reasonable amount of the Induction material.