On this page you will find answers to popular questions that Trainees ask us focused on the content of your training programme. Click on each title for more details.
How do I know which courses to attend?
Are the training days mandatory?
What should I do if I can not attend a training day?
What courses should I attend if I am out of sync with my colleagues?
Can I attend any training days when I am on leave (sick leave / maternity leave)?
ST1/ST2/ST3 Tutorial Timetables
PLEASE NOTE THESE DATES ARE CORRECT AS OF AUGUST 2021. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE IN TOUCH WITH THE ROTA COORDINATOR OF YOUR TUTORIAL GROUP FOR ALL UPCOMING DATES IN CASE THERE HAS BEEN A DATE SWAP OR OTHER CHANGES. IF YOU ARE STARTING THE YEAR AS AN OUT OF SYNC TRAINEE PLEASE GET THE DETAILS FROM YOUR PROGRAMME DIRECTOR AND MAKE CONTACT WITH THE ROTA COORDINATOR. ALL TUTORIALS WILL BE TAKING PLACE VIA ZOOM UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. NIMDTA WILL SEND OUT ZOOM LINKS FOR ALL REGIONAL DAYS BUT FOR LOCALITY DAYS IT IS UP TO THE TRAINEES AND EDUCATIONAL SUPERVISORS TO ARRANGE ZOOM LINKS TOGETHER. WE RECOMMEND EACH TUTORIAL GROUP HAS A WHATSAPP OR EMAIL GROUP AND MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WELL IN ADVANCE WITH THE PLANNED SUPERVISOR FOR EACH TOPIC
All about General Practice posts (ST2 & ST3)
What should I do before starting a GP post?
- Ensure you have the appropriate Medical Protection
- Purchase your own stethoscope, auroscope & ophthalmoscope
- Ensure your motor car insurance is valid for home visits and carrying drugs
Contract, Handbooks & taking leave
- The Practice acts as your employer whilst in a GP post. You should report all sick / maternity leave to them and to NIMDTA. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to advise us of any leave taken above annual leave.
- You can download blank copies of the Contract and Handbook from the policies section at the bottom of the screen. However NIMDTA Human Resources will populate a contract with your salary scale and holiday entitlement and post this to your practice within 6 weeks of the start of your post.
What to expect in GP – induction and consultation
- Induction should last three days in ST2 & ST3
- The working week is ten sessions
- Expect to consult with around 70 patients per week in ST2 & 80 patients per week in ST3
- 20 minute appointment slots, reducing to 10 minutes later by mutual agreement during ST3
ST2 Regional and Locality Day Timetables Feb-Aug 2019
The Management Module & Patient consent form
Managing Controlled Drugs
When should ST2s meet with their GP Trainer?
If undertaking a GP post in August
- Complete audit
- Review surgery session
- Review of red flag referrals made while in post
If undertaking a GP post in February
- Active observation of the trainer consulting
- Active observation of another GP consulting
- Active observation of the Practice Nurse – Spiro/Smoking cessation/Resp reviews
- Practice manager or present trainee to demonstrate the computer & practice policies – see inventory in Induction Guide to General Practice Posts. This is best undertaken just a couple of weeks before starting as these skills atrophy quickly
Induction (that period of learning before seeing booked patients) should last 3 days for St2s, those commencing GP in February of a year may find they have already covered a reasonable amount of the Induction material.